Monday, 16 April 2012

How to make basic Cake Pops

Ok as some of you are aware I have really struggled making cake pops to view some of my disasters have a look on my face book page at the photo's but after doing lots of research and help from one of my Liker's (Lesley) I think I have finally mastered them, so I thought I would share This little how to.
Once you are ready to cover your cake pops make a little production line up. it makes it a lot easier.

This made 11.

What you need:
1 Cake ( I used a Madeira cake made the day before)
pre made butter cream ( made the day before and left in the fridge over night)
cake pop sticks ( you can get these in Asda, you get 12 in a box)
chocolate/candy melts/silver spoon buttons (aprox 200g for 12)
block of polystyrene, stand it in a tall glass, or use a egg carton

What you do:
Cut off the top of your cake and scrape out the inside ( you do not want any hard bits, my son decided to eat this bit)

then in a food processor or a large bowl break up your cake using a fork. Make sure there are no big bits, must look like small bread crumbs.

Mix in your butter cream do a tbsp at a time as it depends on the consistency of your butter cream
( I used 3 1/2. If you are using brought one use about 1/3 to 1/2 a tub, again use a tbsp to help you. Make sure you mix well together.
When the mix is one colour Knead with your hands for a few minutes just to ensure that it is a fully incorporated.

Using a table spoon scoop out some cake pop mixture and shape in to a ball, these need to weigh about 1 oz.  You will need to wash your hands after making a couple of balls. Place these on a baking tray.
 Once you have all your balls place a bag over your baking tray and place in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not forget about them other wise you will end up with frozen ones. Or in the fridge for 2-3 hours.

Melt a small amount of your chocolate/candy melts/silver spoon buttons dip the sticks in to the melted chocolate/candy melts/silver spoon buttons,
I have found using wooden lolly stick no good,  then dip this into your cake. It needs to be about half way through the cake ball. Any further and they will break after the first freeze.

Again place on your tray and cover and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours, if  you are placing them in the freezer use freezer zip/seal bags, place them in these so that they do not get a frost on them when placed in the freezer, and freeze for I hour or until firm to touch.

Once they are ready to cover melt all your  chocolate/candy melts/silver spoon buttons
 carefully dip the cake pop into this so that it completely covers the ball and gently shake off any excess, if you are using decorations such as sprinkles add them at this time.  Place your completed cake pop stick down in either a block of polystyrene, stand it in a tall glass, or use a egg carton. If you don't have these place them on grease proof paper with the cake pop end propped up.

This does take a lot of practice to master it so do not be put off if your first attempt fails it is all about trial and error in getting the consistency right.



Happy baking
Shelly
xx

10 comments:

  1. How lovely! Cake pops are ever so pretty and children love them. I have never attempted them. Thanks for sharing this X

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love them but it has taken me ages to master making them as I was never sure what to do. I am just pleased that I asked for help. I know know how just need to practice a bit more to make other shapes. I hope you give them a go and if you would be so kind as to let me know how you got on.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these today, I am so pleased with them. They are for my granddaughters 2nd birthday party. Thankyou so much for this tutorial its brilliant. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Janet. I hope your granddaughter and her friends enjoyed them. If you have got any pics I would love to see them.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shelly, I have made more cake pops today, I will put a pictures up but not sure how to do it on here? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet, would love to see them not sure how to add them on to the blog but I do have a facebook page that you can add the photo's on there. Hope that helps.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cake pops! They look splendid :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Help I baked the choc sponge and added buttercream a little at a time refrigerated a while and used making good first time balls - well had to trial and error them but pleased with the result. Froze the rest of the balls for 2 days until time to make more but when I defrosted them to use they were almost impossible in fact they were impossible to stop splitting in half, even re-balling them failed to stop them splitting :-) Would that be because I froze them for a couple of days ie completely? do you think that caused problems with the buttercream in them? Help??? please!! Kind regards Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on this. In all honestly I am not sure so I have made some and placed them in the freezer to do some experiments with so I will let you know in a couple of days what happened.
      Shelly
      XXX

      Delete