Sunday, 15 January 2012

My dad's Birthday Cake

Yesterday was my dear OLD dad's birthday. So normally I would buy him a card and a little present but I thought I would do him some thing different. Instead I did a cake, I thought I would top it with some home made figure. I used fondant, I have only ever made a frog , bee, caterpillar and a couple of flowers and my dad is a huge golfer he is there no matter what the weather and recently won a trophy for a game he played. So I thought I would take the mic a bit with the cake. So I made a man lying down (don't ask me how as I am not sure I sat down and got on with it, I will admit it is not perfect as I do not own any proper tools for making characters)
Then I made a gold bag with golf clubs, balls, a flag and a small patch of green. I covered the cake in green butter cream and then placed all the decorations.
My dad was very pleased when he saw the cake. I know that next time I make it it will be better as I will practice and buy some books to help me learn how to make things like this.
This cake mix is enough for 1 large tin or two small ones. I normally do two small ones and put lemon curd in the centre then top with butter cream.

What you need:
9 oz soft butter
9 oz caster sugar
3 eggs
1/4 pint milk
10 oz self raising flour sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon juice
zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
5 oz mixed dried fruit


What you do:
Preheat your oven and grease your tin.
In a large bowl cream your butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy.
Beat in your eggs one at a time until fully incorporated, do not worry if it splits as when the flour is added and the cake is baked it will  be look and taste good.
 Mix in your milk and lemon juice then fold in your shifted flour and baking powder
Mix in your zest and mixed dried fruit
Empty into your tin and bake on the middle shelf for 25 to 30 minutes or until the skewer inserted come out clear

leave to cool in your tin then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled decorate as you please.

This is how I did mine

Basic Butter cream flavoured with lemon then decorated with fondant.



As you can see I still need a lot of practice but I am happy with the results as I think it is not to bad for a first attempt.

Happy Baking
Shelly
xxx


6 comments: