Monday, 21 November 2011

Cookie Swap Lebkuchen













21/11/2011
A while ago I was reading this blog love and olive oil  and they are doing a cookie swap, as I was reading it I was disappointed to read that it was in the US only (I live in UK) but reading further down the page it was open to other countries as long as you could drum up other blogger's who would take part. So I posted on my face book and twitter page and found out that there was in fact a lot of blogger's from UK doing it so I signed up for it.
Its a bit like a secret Santa just instead of presents we do biscuits. We all get emails saying who we are sending to. We have to have them posted by the 5th december and then do our blog by the 12th.

20/11/2011
So I have recieved my email telling me who I will be sending my biscuits to now ( Helen at bakery cottage,  Catherine at soup-tuesday and Bob at foodie bob )
 I have to decide how to send them as I have never sent any baked food by post. I will tell you what I received once I have told you how to make Lebkucken.
My Lebkucken are not like the ones you can buy they are a soft moist texture but the smells and taste are yummy even if I do say so my self. These are a fantastic little Christmas biscuit. 

What you need:
Lebkuchen
250g plain flour
85g Almonds
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of - ground cloves, ground nutmeg and black pepper (you can do as big a pinch as you like)
200ml honey
85g butter
zest 1 lemon ( use the juice for the icing)

decorations:

Royal Icing
2 egg whites or 1 sachet of egg white powder (follow packet instructions to make up)
500g icing sugar shifted
1 tsp lemon juice
food colouring (your choice)
decorations of your choice

Melted chocolate

What you do:

Lebkucken

Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl including the zest.

In a pan heat the honey and the butter until the butter has melted,

 pour this into the dry mix and using a wooden spoon mix until it forms a dough.
 cover with a tea towel and leave until cool
Preheat your oven to 160 o'C and line your baking trays with grease proof paper.
Knead the dough for a couple of seconds so that the dough is smooth

Roll out your dough to a minimum of 1cm thick and cut out your desired shapes. Place them on the baking tray but leave a gap between them. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on the middle shelf.
Remove from the oven and leave on a wire rack to cool

Decorating and Packing 

Royal Icing

To make royal icing whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks (had to borrow my mother in-laws whisk. I will get round to buying one eventually.)
 add lemon juice and whisk some more, fold in the icing sugar until fully incorporated. (note to self remove whisk before adding the icing sugar)
 (also see royal icing/flooding technique) Place into you piping bags or bottles do the outlines
 water down the icing so that it is slightly runny, then fill in and leave to set.

Melted Chocolate

Break up your chocolate into a bowl and place the bowl onto a pan of simmering water (make sure the water and the bowl do not touch), then you can pipe, brush or dip your biscuits into it. For the snowmans hat, eyes, nose, mouth, buttons and scarf I piped it on. For the christmas trees I brushed it on and then sprinkled some hundreds and thousands onto them.

To send them I brought some plastic containers covered the base in grease proof paper then place the cookies inside making sure I put more grease proof in to protect them.

Once the where all secure I put the lids on and wrapped in parcel paper already to be posted. Ok so I sent 2 in the post and hand delivered one as she lives round the corner.


What I received.

As you can see by my blog roll that I follow a lot of blogs so I was really pleased that when I opened by first parcel it was to find poppy seed and lemon biscuits from Beckie writer of beesteas. Her biscuits are absolutely yummy, my 3 year old son has eaten most of them. What was left I had to make sure they where out of reach and where he could not climb or put a chair but I am sure he will find away. What I like about the biscuits is even though the lemon is tart it is not over powering. So I am looking forward to when she posts the recipe as I will definitely be making some even if I have to do two batches.


My second batch of cookies was from the lovely Amy writer of weeklybakeoff.(another one that I follow, I was that pleased I jumped up and down like a big kid). Her biscuits where a (please note the where as they did not last long) Peanut butter and Bournville Cookie. Two of my favourite things in a cookie made me one happy lady. My daughter tried these ones and she loved them which made me laugh as she does not like peanut butter so I decided not tell her what is in them. I am also going to make sure that when I bake these she is not in so she can not see what goes into them. (Yes I know I am a sneaky mummy hiding what goes into food/baked goods.)

My third and final batch of cookies arrived this morning (7/12/11). These where from the lovely Julie who writes this fantastic blog julie bradhen (another one of the blogs I follow, again I was jumping up and down like a kid, simple things and all that.)
Julie was also kind enough to put in two little presents one was a little red Christmas tree with white dots (Now handing on the Christmas tree) and the other was a Green and Blacks milk chocolate (this I will keep for after the kids have gone to bed.).
the biscuits that I received are Molasses. This is the first time that I have ever had a Molasses biscuit and I am please to say they are really really yummy so much so in fact I don not think I will share them with my kids ok so we all know I will as I am a great big softy when it comes to my babies.
These cookies had a lovely crunchy out side while still chewy on the inside. Out of the three batches of cookies that I received I think this is going to be the first one I bake.



If you have a blog and are interested in signing up, click on this link  cookie swap notifications and sign up. They will then keep you updated.
You can also find them on Face Book ( facebook.Great-Food-Blogger-Cookie-Swap )

Happy Baking
Shelly
xxxxx

2 comments:

  1. They really were delicious! Thanks ever so much for sending us a little bundle of Christmas joy

    Mr Soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I glad you liked them.
    Shelly
    xx

    ReplyDelete