Sunday, 23 October 2011

Soft white bread rolls

After many attempts at getting my bread not to have a crusty top and be nice and soft. I have finally managed to get the recipe just how I have wanted it to be. I have spent many a day looking at my note book with this recipe and playing about with the recipe. Finely this morning I have managed it so I thought I would share this with you.


What you need:
500g strong white flour
1 tsp salt
1 packet (7g) dried yeast
1 tbsp of soft brown sugar
50g unsalted butter (put it in the microwave and heat it so that it is just starting to melt)
6 floz cold milk
6 floz cold water

What you do:
Grease your baking trays and then lightly flour
Put your flour, salt, yeast and sugar into a bowl and then mix.


Put in the butter, water and milk and mix using your hand until you start to form a dough

Place your dough onto a lightly floured worktop and Knead for 10 minutes so that you have a nice smooth dough

flour your bowl and place you dough back into it. Cover it and leave it to rise in a warm place so that it is double its size.


Place your dough back onto a floured surface and knead again but only for a couple of minutes. Divide your dough into balls (the amount and size is up to you)

Place onto your baking trays cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise. Again they want to be double their original size.

Near the end of the second proving time preheat your oven to 170oC
Place your trays onto your middle shelf and bake for 10 - 13 minutes. Check they are cooked by tapping the bottom of the roll they should sound hollow and be a nice golden colour on top

Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack and cover straight away with a dry clean tea towel.

Happy Baking
Shelly
xxxx



9 comments:

  1. Thank you. It has taken me ages to get the recipe just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO MUCH, I have just made some small soup size rolls and they are PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so good !! I must say I was sceptical as I have all ways managed to make bread rolls into rock cakes. But I followed the recipe to the letter and wow soft rolls thanks I will use this recipe again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. The recipie does what it says. nice soft bread rolls. THANKYOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Followed this to the letter but its still not risen after 1.5hrs. the yeast is fine used yesterday and no probs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine takes twice as long in this weather so I've left mine over night. If that does not work try my last resort to get bread to rise.
      Sit a bowl with the dough in it over a small sauce pan of warm water a cover. Make sure the water does not touch the bowl. Keep an eye on it.
      What type of dried yeast are you using as I tend to use Allinson dried active yeast (its in a yellow container) I find the one that is in the green container does not work as well and takes twice as much yeast. If you are using fresh double the amount of yeast.
      If that does not work try leaving the eyast out at the beginning and heating up the milk and water putting the yeast in that and leaving for 15 mins. If the yeast does not froth then its a problem with the yeast. Once it has frothed add it to the flour continue as normal. Hope this helps. If not I am not sure what to suggest. x Shelly x

      Delete
  6. Hi, I'm having a little trouble with my bread. I always find the dough is really sticky and stringy and hard to knead, do you have any advice? I'll try this recipe again, much better than using a breadmaker! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Try adding the water a little at a time and mix it with a spoon until you have a manageable dough but please bear in mind that some doughs are supposed to be sticky and stringy, they do take a lot of work when kneading until smooth. If you are not getting any where with the flour try using the small amount of olive oil on your work top and hands to help prevent sticking.
      Or I know a lot of people prefer to use a scraper when it comes to kneading.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scottish-Dough-Scraper-Plastic-Handle/dp/B002UDFVS6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361178908&sr=8-3

      Sorry it is not a lot of help.
      Shelly
      xxx

      Delete