Monday, 17 October 2011

My Chocolate cake with Nutella Buttercream

This cake is a very yummy rich moist cake, especially with Bournville cocoa powder. This cake mix can be bake in a deep round cake tin, 2 small cake tins or a square cake tin, at the minute I tend to be using my new square cake tin well its not really a tin its one of those silicone ones which I am starting to fall in love with.
One of the reason I love this cake is because you can make it then freeze it for up to two months
To make it extra naughty I have topped it with Nutella Buttercream but you can decorate it with any icing, glaze, ganache or buttercream that you want, the amount of nutella you put in this is up to you but I tend to go for 4 heaped tablespoons. The amount of buttercream is enough for either a generous layer on the top of your cake and down the sides or some in the middle and then on top.
Again I have not used a whisk ( I dont own one any more it seems they can blow up after to much usage and I tend to find that you get better results by hand plus you get to know more when your mix is ready.)

What you need:
Cake
6 oz soft butter
11oz caster sugar
3 tsp Strawberry extract/flavouring (you can use a different one as any extract/flavouring goes)
3 eggs
3 oz self raising flour sifted
7 oz plain flour sifted
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 oz cocoa powder
1 tub buttermilk (484ml tub)

Buttercream
13oz icing sugar sifted
5oz soft butter
1tsp milk
4 heaped tbsp nutella

what you do:
Cake
Preheat your oven to 170o'C  grease and line your cake tin/tins
In a large bowl cream your butter and sugar until it is nice and creamy,
 beat in your extract/favouring then beat in your eggs.
Fold in your flours and bicarbonate of soda then stir in your buttermilk. mix until fully combined and smooth
Spoon you cake mix into your tin/tins and smooth so it is level.
Bake on the middle shelf for 50 - 60 minutes or until the skewer comes out clear.
Leave in your tin for 5 minutes then remove and cool on a wire rack.
Once it is cool I tend to slice the top off then decorate it.


Buttercream
In a large bowl cream the butter and icing sugar
Mix in the milk and nutella until smooth, thick and creamy. I do mine so that it will hold its shape. If you find it is to thin just add a little more icing sugar or if it is to thick add a little more milk. Do this until you have a consistency that you like. You are now ready to decorate
For the cake I tended to spoon blobs around the top the smoothed it out.


Happy baking
Shelly
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment