Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Apple and Pear muffins

If you follow the pink whisk you will know she is doing a challenge this month (http://www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2011/10/the-pink-whisk-challenge-october.html#more-1187)  to do with apples, so I thought hey why not its not going to hurt, I have apples in my fruit basket (from a friends garden I have no idea what type they are they are small and sweet, and the kids like them)

and I also had some pears going so I thought I would try them in a muffin, so I looked on line and I could only find ones with soured milk which I did not have  so I thought I would experiment and here is what I got, a nice soft muffin and soft apple and pear with a nice crunchy topping

What you need:
2 heaped tbsp of butter softend
1 tbsp granulated sugar
9 small apples peeled cored and chopped into bit size pieces
3 pears peeled cored and chopped into bit size pieces
400g self raising flour
250g granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch crushed sea salt
1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
150g soft butter
100ml milk room temp
100ml vegetable oil
2 eggs beaten

What you do:
Preheat your oven to 180 o'C and line you muffin tin with your cases ( I did not have any big muffin cases so i used large cupcake cases and ended up with 18 muffins, so the amount you get depends on the size of case and how full you fill your cases)
Put you 2 tbsp of butter and your tablespoon of sugar into a medium saucepan and allow the butter to melt, once the butter has melted add your chopped apples cook the for a few minutes continually stirring the add your pears. Cook these until they are soft, remove from heat and allow to cool.
Mix your flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and butter with your hand so that you get a crumb type mixture.

Make a well and add your milk, oil and egg and mixed until combined.


Drain your apples and pears using a sieve and mix in your apples and pears into your muffin mix ( I tend to drain them as this help prevent soggy muffins)
Place your muffin mixture into your muffin cases (if you want to get the mushroom effect then fill the cases to the top) if you have an ice cream scoop use that to fill the case. Sprinkle them with some granulated sugar, just a pinch on each.

Place in the oven on the middle shelf and cook for 20 - 30 minutes, they should look a nice dark golden colour. if you are not sure take them out and pull one muffin apart ( I know it sounds like a waste but you do get to eat it plus there is no point in doing the skewer test as it will come out with moist on it from the fruit)
Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool.


Store in an air tight container

happy baking
Shelly
xxxx

8 comments:

  1. Fab recipe. love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. hope you enjoy trying some of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this recipe after looking at your entry for the Pink Whisk's October challenge. Looks delicious. Definitely going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I hope you enjoy them as much as me and my children have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just round to making these at the weekend. They are really good. Thanks for a fab recipe. It made enough to supply my husband's work place and apparently they are being eaten at speed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are welcome. Thank you for making them and I am glad they you have enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was interested in making these with my girls this afternoon - do you have to use so much sugar? Can you help me ingredients wise to make it healthier please? Could I use Oats in them too? I was thinking they would with oats be a good easy breakfast muffin for the whole family. Fab blog :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      I suppose you could try 125g sugar then 125g oats. Just add it in when you would do the sugar. Please let me know how you get on.
      I can not get into town until the weekend so I will try some healthy breakfast muffins during the weekend and see what my children think and get them on here ASAP for you.
      Sorry I have not been much help.
      Shelly
      XXX

      Delete